Locating Calcified Canals
Fast and safe removal of blockages.
One of the challenges in endodontics is the removal of calcifications that block the access to the root canals. The best treatment for this condition is the combination of magnification and ultrasonics. The improved visualization and the conservative removal of tooth structure with the ultrasonic tip result in fewer iatrogenic errors.
Knowing where to access is only the first step.
1st Law of canal location
The root canal access is always located in the floor-wall junction (FWJ).
2nd law of canal location
The root canal access is always located in a vertex.
Step-by-Step Calcified Canal Location
1. After achieving access to the pulp chamber using a high speed turbine, place the ultrasonic tip in direct contact with the calcification.
2. Initiate the removal through straight and continuous movements over the calcification (do not use water during this step).
3. Ultrasonic inserts are meant to be used for short periods of time, to avoid overheating. To rinse and remove dentin and pulp remains, use a syringe containing sodium hypochlorite, followed by suction and drying of the pulp chamber.
Repeat steps 2 and 3 until all obstructions are eliminated
1. Pulp chamber with calcifications obstructing the access to the canals.
2. Ultrasonic tip in contact with calcification and activated to remove obstructions.
3. Accessible canals after instrumentation with ultrasonic insert.
Pulp chamber with calcifications obstructing the access to the canals.
E6D ultrasonic tip activated in contact with calcifications.
Accessible canals after instrumentation with ultrasonic insert.
Check the color difference between the pulp chamber walls and floor. The correct identification of the floor-wall junction (FWJ) is a very important detail during the access phase!
“I have been impressed with the responsiveness and quality of the Helse ultrasonic tips. They are my go to tips for custom bent apical surgery tips. I routinely use them for non-surgical endodontic therapy and have been impressed with their durability and quality. .”
Dr. Keith Kanter, DDS
Journal Articles & Research
Starter Packs to get you going.
We’ve assembled three separate starter packs packaged with a procedure field guide to get you started supercharging ultrasonics in your practice.
Endo Starter Pack
The Endo Starter Pack includes 6 Ultrasonics Tips to get you started with Pulp Chamber, Middle Third and Activation procedures.
Endo Master Pack
The Endo Master Pack includes 12 Ultrasonics Tips for Pulp Chamber, Middle Third, Activation, Post Removal and Retreatment procedures.
Endo Guru Pack
The Endo Guru Pack includes 18 Ultrasonics Tips for maximum flexibility with Pulp Chamber, Middle Third, Activation,Post Removal, Apical Surgery and Retreatment procedures.
When purchasing tips we offer savings for every 6 tips you add to your cart. No discount codes just add to your cart and start saving.